Why do we need a Code of Conduct for Health Research?
The EU General Data Protection Regulation comes into force on 25 May 2018, with direct effect in Member States. Given that legal texts are not always easily accessible, a Code of Conduct for Health Research is being developed that is as comprehensive as possible in order to:
- guide researchers and administrative staff;
- reduce unnecessary fear relating to compliance; and
- enhance data sharing for the purpose of stimulating progress in research.
The purpose of the Code of Conduct for Health Research initiative is:
- To contribute to the proper application of the regulation, taking into account the specific features of processing personal data in the area of health;
- To clarify and specify certain rules of the GDPR for controllers who process personal data for purposes of scientific research in the area of health;
- To help demonstrate compliance by controllers and processors with the regulation; and
- To help foster transparency and trust in the use of personal data in the area of health research.
Levels of involvement: